Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bow Wow Wow Lessons 2 and 3

I'm moving on to the Do Pentatonic Scale with my 3rd graders.  This step is so important as this scale is the basis for TONS of folk song activities.  It is also great for using Orff keyboards, so for me, these units go hand in hand (we use the keyboards quite frequently, but as we learn the pentatonic scale, I set all of them out).  I love to use the suggestions in Almedia's Mallet Madness (so worth the price - you can check out more of it here).

I'm working on a huge Zip file of my pentatonic unit (5-6 lessons, tons of Power Points, folder games, group activities, and worksheets) but that's going to take a while.

So, today I'm uploading a group of 3 lessons for the song "Bow Wow Wow".
Bow wow wow
Whose dog art thou?
Little Tommy Tucker's dog
Bow, wow, wow

This song is in G pentatonic (so you'll have to remove your Cokes - C and Fries - F from your Orff instruments) which is great because, much later, we can play it on the recorder.  It also reviews basic rhythms (quarter note, quarter rest, eighth note pair).

I teach the song in three separate lessons.
1. Lesson 1 - Students are introduced to the lyrics, then match the correct rhythm to each lyric using body percussion.  Afterward, they complete their own rhythmic composition worksheet.  I love completing worksheets together, especially ones where we cut and glue, because it lends itself to circle-time discussions.  Students get to share their work with others.  I never hear, "Ugh, not another worksheet."
2.  Lesson 2 - Students review the lyrics/rhythms then add pitches (not yet on the music staff).  They also add a movement to the song.
3.  Lesson 3 - Students add the pitches to the music staff.  They also add Orff instrument ostinatos (that you can sing as well - squeak in those two-part experiences).

You can check out Lesson 1 for free on my TPT site - just scroll down to a previous post about it.  If you like the format, Lesson 2 and 3 are now available here.

I'm working on similar structures for other Pentatonic songs, such as Bluebird and Great Big House.  I'm also thinking about composing some Pentatonic Thanksgiving songs.  Do you know of any?



Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment