Thursday, March 28, 2013

Shoo-Fly Treble Clef Set


Whew, I finally got all of this together!  Looks like more cutting and laminating ahead for me, haha.

My older students have enjoyed our music spelling activities, including Music Spelling - Sports Edition, Music Spelling - St. Patrick's Day Edition, and Music Spelling - Bunny Edition.  We've been working on many other staff-naming activities.  I'm lucky enough to have a large staff wipe/magnetic board, a floor staff (made from a white shower curtain), four cookie pans with staves, large staff wipeboards (four), and of course I have staff pages laminated (for use with bingo chips, or tasty snacks such as candy hearts) and in plastic page protectors to be drawn on with dry-erase markers (I highly recommend this - it saves trees and is easy to clean up, plus, kids love working with the markers).  They've also used other activities, such as lines and spaces matching and various treble clef worksheets.

Here are two more activities they will use:

I blogged about this activity earlier this week: Shoo-Fly Treble Clef PowerPoints  Sometimes it is nice to do a quick activity with PowerPoint (especially with my 5th graders - we are really focused on their upcoming 80's-themed program) instead of lugging out all the materials.

My 4th graders aren't working on anything performances at the moment, so they've busy with lots of different things.  I created this next set of PowerPoints for them.  There are three levels (level one has 2-3 letter words, level two has 4-5 letter words, and level three has 6-7 letter words).
First, the students see a slide like this:

Then, they can dictate it one of two ways (I'm going to use the worksheets so I have some assessments to grade):
Dictation 1: Either use in a plastic bag with dry-erase marker or print out and use bingo-chips so students can create the word on the staff (with younger students I've doing activities like this with paint-swatch solfa-houses on larger, poster-sized staves I created from butcher paper and laminated - my older ones have also used my dry-erase staff boards on a similar activity):
Dictation 2: Students receive a worksheet for each level (so three worksheets total) and must draw the word on the staff themselves (I also have them draw a treble clef):
There are follow-up slides to each word, so students can check their work (and you can discuss what other ways it could have been dictated):

I also created this activity where students match a fly:
To a corresponding trash-can:
The kids love matching games like these, especially when they've finished, I've checked their work, and they can then turn over all their cards and play it like a memory matching game.

My 3rd graders are still working on learning the treble clef, and they've been busy with many B-A-G recorder activities, such as:
Easter Themed Recorder Activity
B-A-G Tent Game
B-A-G Folder Games
B-A-G Dice Game
So I created a Treble Clef Review PowerPoint (see previous post below for more info):



And also this B-A-G matching game (relates to all the fly stuff previously):

The students match a fly:

To the corresponding trash-can:

Then, the students can play each pattern on their recorder.  You can also play a pattern and have them identify it (once the whole class is finished) and then everyone can play together.  Students can take turns playing patterns for the class to copy.  They can also place patterns in specific orders to create small compositions to play.

The bundled download, Shoo-Fly Bundled Set, is a great value.  You can also download the activities separately:
1.Shoo-Fly Mini Lesson Set
2. Shoo-Fly Treble Clef Matching PowerPoints
3. Treble Clef and Recorder Matching Game - Fly and Trashcan
4. Shoo-Fly Treble Clef Dictation PowerPoints

No comments:

Post a Comment